[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 14 14:10:45 EDT 2018

Glen,

That's extraordinarily kind of you, Glen.  I would look forward to any responses you had.  For most academic writers ... except the Dennetts and the Pinkers and the Dawkinses ... writing is like dropping gold pieces down an infinitely deep wishing well.  You never even hear them hit the bottom, let alone get your wishes.

I share your misgivings about Harnad.  To his credit, Harnad published a lot of my commentaries  while disagreeing vociferously with my perspective, whenever I approached him directly.  He is a dyed in the wool Cartesian who has never doubted for a minute that all experience begins with knowledge of one's own mind.  There are mountains of evidence to suggest that, on the contrary, experience of one's own mind is derived from experience of the world, and is as much, or more, of an inference that our inference of the minds of others.  So the entire project laid out in his abstract is, to me, patently wrong-headed.

Thanks, again, Glen.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson