[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 15 09:25:02 EDT 2018

Evidently we already know how to create organisms from a file:

https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gibson_how_to_build_synthetic_dna_and_send_it_across_the_internet/transcript?language=en

They did a flu virus vaccine - but it looks like you just as easily print up some anthrax. (Don't know if this is so, it seems like it from what I have read, but I am not a biologist.)

Scariest part, it appears that the "printer" is Internet accessible. But, of course, it is "secured."

And again, of course, what one can build so can another.

If you want some nice science fiction focused on potentially dire (even existential) consequences from existing tech (hacking/games, drones, CRISPR) try Daniel Suarez' Daemon and Freedom; Change Agent; and, Kill Decision.

davew