[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

∄ uǝʃƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 10:21:10 EDT 2018

Thanks!  I had never run across the idea that da Vinci was vegetarian.  But it seems preposterous to associate movement with pain.  Movement is the remedy for pain, not the cause.  I suppose the promotion from actual movement or actual pain to "capability for" makes some sense.  And that re-invokes the ever-present decoupling of meta-layer, abstracted, things like "capability of" or even "thinking about" from actual things like pain and movement.  So, perhaps da Vinci's tendency to vegetarianism is evidence of his dualism?

I'm not so sure how remarkable it is, though.  It seems like anyone "in tune" with their surroundings will anthropomorphize just a little bit.  Maybe it's remarkable for someone steeped in the Western tradition?  It seems easy for me to imagine any thoughtful hunter making some attempts to reduce the pain and suffering of their prey.  Do animals other than humans try to kill their prey "humanely"?  I know my cats don't.  It's much more fun for them to torture a squealing mole, scared out of its mind, desperately trying to escape.  Perhaps like diabetes II, their psychopathy is a result of abundant food?

--
∄ uǝʃƃ