[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 17 14:27:35 EDT 2018

Weighing yourself everyday is actually an excellent way to promote weight loss. So too frequent, even hourly, measures of heart rate, glucose level, etc. Not because you do something in reaction to the measure, simply because it causes a kind of Hawthorne Effect, that forces you to intentionally  take, or refrain from taking, some kind of action - like eating that sixth doughnut.

I am watching plants move outside of my window. I doubt the plants are feeling pain, nor are they reacting to/ avoiding pain. True, most people don't eat pines, cedars, and manzanitas, and food plants, e.g. a potato, don't move much. But still, movement, even as an indicator or potential for feeling pain, seems less than useful.

Besides, pain is good: 1) "no pain, no gain;" 2) self-flagellation to bring oneself closer to God; or 3) "Pain is instructive." Baron von Masoch

davew