[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 19 15:36:55 EDT 2018

Fair enough.

Not sure it will.  You wrote:

No magical psychological terms are needed. 8^) And I totally accept your "all perception is 'other-perception'"; and this formulation allows that because it is one PART measuring anOTHER part.

I was hoping to demonstrate to you that the notion of “feeling” is entirely mysterious.  But mostly I was hoping that you and others would try the experiment and report back to me.  Whenever I do it, the effect is always bizarre.  When the experiment is over, I find it difficult to parse the sentence, “Jones felt X.”

Look!  About this sort of thing, I don’t hope to convince anybody, only to worry them as much as I am worried:  BUT: I guess I think that all interpsychic talk is incoherent because psyches are just relations between organisms and objects and all intrapsychic talk is metaphorical at best and metaphysical at worst.  One might question whether I should be bothing your and our colleagues with such ill formed reflections, but I guess I think that that is precisely what FRIAM is FOR.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson