[FRIAM] Everything she knows...

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Apr 16 17:11:09 EDT 2019

Frank -

I think the quantification of "generations" is at least a little more
useful than Astrology.   I have a hard time believing that the specific
timing of the rising of constellations has that much effect on
individual constitution and personality (and fate?), though the time of
year one goes through various stages of gestation (dead of winter, heat
of summer) almost does.   Especially before the buffers of HVAC AWD
Vehicles and Supermarkets.

Your identification as a "war baby" distinguishes you from the "greatest
generation" since you didn't come along until *after* the great
depression and wasn't "coming of age" or "a young adult" during the
war.   I am technically a Boomer (1957) but feel a bit too late, and
your 1964 is even later...   the defining qualities of Boomers (for me)
is having enjoyed the fruits of being raised during the post-war "boom",
and then being defined by the Hippy moment and the Vietnam war.   They
cancelled draft registration just months before my 18th birthday, so
while I was acutely aware of the *threat* of conscription/Vietnam and
the aftermath (returning vets),  my elder-boomers had a significantly
different experience with all that.   I was only 11 during the "Summer
of Love" I think?  I don't know when "X" starts technically but my own
daughters (79, 80) feel like the forefront of "X".   I believe Marcus
might be 10+ years older than them?   Definitely post-Boom, but
early-early "X"?   Glen also?   Like "war baby" it seems like
early-early Xrs are also "war babies" (Vietnam, racial/gender wars,
Watergate, ???) being defined by things that were happening while they
might have been too young to participate?

I guess I think in half-generations (by some measure) of roughly 10 year
periods...   where the older members of the "next older" generation were
probably more likely your parent's peers than yours and the younger
peers of your older siblings, but rarely of you.   The world events that
shaped their childhoods, their teens, or their young adult lives were
different from yours.   e.g.   Those who were already adults (my GenX
daughters) for 9/11 had a significantly different experience than those
who were still children, and very much those who were too young to
remember.    I was in 2nd Grade when JFK was shot and really didn't
appreciate the implications of much at all except most of the adults I
knew were pretty whigged out for a while.   I was a late teen when Nixon
came tumbling down.   I helped vote Reagan in (and regretted fairly
quickly and am still rattled the way I hope a lot of Trumpsters are now
and decades from now), but most of the rest of my adult life feels
*much* more homogenous, even though a LOT of significant events happened
then also.

I suppose my point is that the events of your formative years seem to be
what define us, along with the generational norms of our parents (mine
were older parents for their generation, so their age-peers mostly had
children 10 years older than me).

Ramble...

- Steve