[FRIAM] A question for tomorrow

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 00:44:22 EDT 2019

Good to talk to you again also, Nick.

You characterized me as saying, *"yours is an in principle argument against
any claim that machines and humans are ever doing the same thing, right?" *
I wouldn't go that far. One might argue that as physical beings, we are
machines of a sort, so there's not such a clear line between machines and
humans. One of our current scientific challenges is to figure out how to
characterize it and how to push entities across it.

But moving to shallower water, consider this example. Presumably, no one
would say that a standard washing machine knows how to clean clothes. A
washing machine is built to control the flow of water in and out of its
tank, to rotate its agitator for given periods of time, etc. We then
informally say that the washing machine is cleaning the clothes. But it's
not. It just performing mechanical actions that result in what we think of
as clean clothes.

Suppose we made the washing machine smarter. Suppose it had sensors that
could sense the chemicals that we consider "dirt," and selected actions
from its repertoire of actions that reduced the level of those chemicals
below some minimal threshold. Would one say that it then knows how to clean
clothes? I would say that it doesn't--except in an informal way of talking.
The washing machine is built of physical components, sensors, etc. along
with algorithms that (again) produce what *we *think of as clean clothes.
But the washing machine doesn't think of them as clean clothes. It doesn't
think of anything. It just does what it does.

Is there anything one might add to our washing machine so that we would
want to say that it knows how to clean clothes. I can't think of any
incremental steps. For me to attribute the washing machine with knowing how
to clean clothes I would insist that it have consciousness and subjective
experience. I know that's a big jump; it's the line between machines and
humans that I would draw. I'm now recalling, Nick, that you don't believe
in consciousness and subjective experience. Right? So we are probably at an
impasse since we no longer have a common vocabulary. But even if the
position I'm assuming you hold on consciousness and subjective experience
were not a problem, I'd still be stuck. I have no idea how to build
consciousness and subjective experience into a washing machine. This is
probably where we got stuck the last time we talked about this. I guess we
drifted back out to the deeper water anyway. Oh, well. Perhaps it was worth
reviewing the issue. Perhaps not.

-- Russ