[FRIAM] Abduction

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 2 17:54:54 EST 2019

> Why hast thou forsaken me?

> Nick

Well, did you pay your tithes last month????

It is really kind of silly to think that one can either characterize
oneself, or be characterized by others, as Dionysian or Apollonian. the
concept has become so mucked up since Nietzsche used the notions to
define tragedy (a folly of his youth).  The absurd overlay / infusion of
Islamo-Judeo-Christo morality delivered a death blow to the whole idea.
In Greek Philosophy ones behavior (and thoughts if you want to allow
such) were grounded in complex blend of the the two traits; and
consequently everyone was "ambiguous" with regard to them. The
intolerance of ambiguity among the People of the Book and most of
Western culture, keeps trying to push for a two valued logic which is
not useful.
If you want to use the terms as metaphors, Apollonian vs. Dionysian
could correspond to 1) cortex vs. amygdala; or 2) right-brain vs. left-
brain. Everyone knows that any behavior is simultaneously grounded in
both elements, but to an observer, including an internal one, any given
behavior might seem to be predominantly influenced by one or the other.
My claim to "Apollonian" is grounded in a long ago commitment to
following the precepts of Jinyana (Jnana) Yoga. first in Vedic
literature, the Buddhism and Taoism — Ch'an Buddhism --> Zen. I strive
to make all of my behavior deliberate and intentional within a meta-
rational and meta-logical context, utilizing the cortex / left-brain as
a filter.  If you ever read Korzibski, there echos in my head of his "cortico-
thalamic pause."
Feel free to reduce the preceding mumbo-jumbo to: its all behavior, and
each behavior is grounded in the complexity of the whole organism.
davew

Links:

  1. mailto:friam-
     bounces at redfish.com%20on%20behalf%20of%20gepropella at gmail.com