[FRIAM] Pondering...shoes and sweats of all things

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 4 10:40:23 EST 2019

Nick,

Silly me, but I have to ask — are you sure?

Why I ask: Culture (environment) is altered by actions (fads?) of
individual members and in turn alter the likelihood of adoption/mimicry
of the fad by other members of the culture. Direct bi-lateral
communication/copying of a behavior cannot account for 'global' change.
Example: one woman makes a clay pot. Neighbor might take note and make one as well. But one-to-one propagation is insufficient to account for entire villages and regions suddenly transforming into pot making cultures.
I know that you are speaking biologically and I am speaking
anthropologically - but I think there are parallels that should not be
excluded out of hand. Because I am ignorant in such matters I will not
point out that epigenetics might be a camel's nose in the tent.
I have posted two comments about heterarchy as I have encountered it in
my professional work. Absent some disambiguation of "struggles" not sure
how to contribute further.
davew