[FRIAM] Another few ponderances

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jan 10 14:28:40 EST 2019

Gil -

My most relevant experience is having gone through 2 different periods
of following a Ketogenic dietary regimen... once roughly 3 months and
the other roughly 6.   My motives were varied, but included trying to
experience a *different* metabolic state than the one I've become
comfortable with in my advanced and overly sedentary years (last 5-10).

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenesis
    https://paleoleap.com/paleo-guide-to-ketosis/

I'm not referring it to you for any reason in particular than my own
experience with the significantly different subjective experience I had
with food WHILE in ketosis.

It is a bit of a commitment... it took me roughly 1 week of modest
discomfort to get into ketosis and a single carb-binge ( a day or more)
can kick you back out, requiring another (nearly as long) period of
transition.  I went through one full-reset the first time because I
misunderstood that "buttermilk" carried as much lactose (a sugar) as
regular milk (whole or low-fat notwithstanding).   It also means
narrowing the spectrum of familiar foods quite a bit.   No carbs means
no sugar, fruit, starchy vegetables, grains, legumes, milk, etc. but
does admit (promote) fatty foods like cheese, lean and fatty meats,
eggs, oil/butter.   As a mostly vegetarian, that meant my standby easy
go-to meals were omelettes and Cobb salads (often without meat) with at
least one, often two avocados per day (in the omelette/salad or on the
side).

The ketogenic metabolism also consumes extra electrolytes as the liver
actually *produces* water as it converts fats into ketones. This is good
news for anyone struggling to reduce sodium levels. The avocados
provided an easy way to get both high-fat and potassium salts and a
taste/texture treat.   Extra water-consumption is suggested, at least
during the transition into ketogenesis to help flush the various toxins
that come with the shift.   I did my two periods over the summer each
time, and it has become my practice to drink at least two liters of
water a day laced with electrolytes (potassium/magnesium salts) and
apple-cider vinegar) as a "gatorade" replacement in the warm seasons. I
used to crave salt terribly... this undermines my salt-cravings
entirely.   I find it incredibly satisfying, especially while in
ketogenesis.

Ketogenesis is prescribed for a wide range of things from kicking off
weight loss with (sometimes) lasting metabolic differences (i.e. Atkins,
etc.) to some forms of brain dysfunction (epilepsy, alzheimers), to
athletic performance (endurance and strength, though not
muscle-building).  I was lead to it by my daughter and her partner who
are both performance athletes and paleo-nutritionists.   I found that
while in ketogenesis, my endurance for physical activity increased
(after the first week of low-energy, etc. during transition) and my
hunger was very level... I *never* had any strong desire (other than
habitual) to gobble down a donut or pizza or a burrito.   When I
followed the "intermittent fasting" ideal (restricting food consumption
to 4-6 hours a day),  eating became much more of an abstraction and/or
entirely instinctual process.  I *enjoyed* my meals, but did not crave
them or find myself checking the clock...  if anything I'd realize that
I had entered my "eating window" (nominally 2=6 pm for me) without
realizing it.   The idea behind the intermittent fasting (which can
include missing an entire eating cycle) is to keep the liver working
hard at converting body-fat to ketones.

I would also claim that I felt more mental focus (once past that first
week).   This is one of the reasons my daughter and partner seek
ketogenesis, they feel that when they are eating carbs, they often
experience a brain-fog.    My own experience is not as stark, but I feel
that self-analysis of mental states is VERY subjective.   In general my
transition into/out of ketogenesis was much less dramatic than is often
reported.  The "keto flu" going in has been reported lasting up to 2
weeks and returning to carbs is often reported to generate "bloating",
"brain fog", etc.    My experiences of the transitions were very mild
compared to those reported by others.

I don't know if this helps you think about your own metabolic responses
to various foods and exercise experiences, but I find that kind of
introspection/self-experimentation fascinating.

- Steve