[FRIAM] Ownership of expired patent

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Tue Jul 2 18:55:59 EDT 2019

Not a lawyer /  this is my understanding.

Yes, the firm owns the copyright to the code and is a form of intellectual
property independent of patent.

Copyright is owned by the author (or entity that had work-for-hire
agreements) at the moment of creation.

As an author or someone that had access to proprietary information during
it's creation, you can not rewrite it in a different language or transfer
any knowledge to someone who is. it would violate the copyright. If an
independent person saw the product and wanted to re-implement the
functionality without access to the code or other proprietary information
they could do so in a "clean room design" process:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design

-Stephen
CEO, Simtable  http://www.simtable.com
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828
twitter: @simtable