[FRIAM] Posts from the Scotts

glen∈ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 11:19:31 EDT 2019

Yeah, I had the same reaction. But I lost to my own argument. Since Renee's been a grievance officer for her union, she and I've had an argument about "violence in the workplace". She claims (and both the union and management agree) that harsh words and aggressive tone and body language constitute "violence in the workplace". My argument *against* that boils down to this. Anyone who's been punched knows the difference between physical violence and ... psychological "violence" (using quotes to give my opponents some, but not too much, benefit of the doubt). Call it "intimidation", "threat", "implied violence", whatever. Just don't draw a false equivalence between harsh words and being punched in the face. (Back during one of my co-op terms in the avionics lab at Vought Aircraft, a consultant actually punched the lab manager over how they defined a systems engineering concept ... I can't even remember which concept it was at this point. [sigh] A useful distinction is when Bao, the employee assigned to teach me how to program the flight simulator, refuted my claims about how Ctrl-C interrupts were handled by repeatedly hitting Ctrl-C *yelling* "See! See! Ctrl-C doesn't work!" It's difficult for me to draw an equivalence between the fists flying between the consultant and the manager versus Bao's rather silly emphatic gestures. 8^))

I also have to equivocate on "abuse", since I *pride* myself in my tendency to abuse software (indeed *any* conceptual structure) to a) break it and b) find uses for which it wasn't intended. From a "respect for persons" standpoint, it should be impossible to *abuse* a person if one never *uses* a person like a tool. Calling someone an "abuser" implicitly assumes that there are proper ways to use people and there are improper ways to use people, which seems a little silly when you say that out loud. People should not be used. I.e. if you're using, you're already an abuser. But, then again, I also pride myself on being a Good Tool. I make my use cases as clear as I can.