[FRIAM] Posts from the Scotts

glen∈ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 04:39:37 EDT 2019

Well, bait and switch is a common, special, sub-category of the very topic, which is: the map between how we (artificially) cut up the world versus how the world actually is. What Alexander was pointing out was exactly that. Of course, when it's our preemptively registered ontology that's being denied/neglected, we tend to use derogatory terms like "bait and switch". But when it's the fidelity of the others' ontology that's being challenged, we tend to be a bit sanctimonious.

Aaronson's post, being largely about quackery/authority follows from Alexander's because we often (always?) derive our ontology from some arbitrary world-cutter [†] we found laying on the ground when we were born/growing. As I commented before in my response to Eric's comment about figuring out who amongst us talks just to hear themselves speak versus those who have something potentially interesting to say, I have to worry if I am *also* a "kibitzer and a dilettante", with only cheap tricks like bait and switch, etc. ... and if so, what does that mean?

[†] Meant to allude to a cookie dough cutter.