[FRIAM] Predictive coding basedon deep learning

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jul 29 12:28:57 EDT 2019

On 7/28/19 10:31 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> I think GPS increases geographical curiosity, not undermines it.

I would say it apparently does *for you*, and in fact it supports my own
*deep curiosity*.  I know (many) others who have lost any vestigal sense
of wayfinding they might have had, including taking verbal directions or
orienting on N/S/E/W or even "toward the mountains or toward the river"
without lots of awkward "why should I have to know that?"

I think the "confirmation bias" thread is exposing what I'm nattering on
about a bit better.

Eric Smith wrote:

    /The awareness that there is such an edifice, and that it is
    something constructed, seems very close to Husserl’s arguments that
    (in my language) we think of experience as a transparent window
    through which we passively receive a reality, but it is more like a
    painted surface on which we are constructing things we believe to be
    co-registered with something outside the window/

To expand Erics metaphor... I believe that the "intermediating painted
glass window", in contemporary technology is the "closed cockpit,
situational awareness" of modern warfare.   All the intermediation can
be incredibly helpful.  It can expand the dynamic range of our senses (
IR, radar, sonar)  and it can provide some prioritization of focus
(various alerts, etc.), but it can *also* blunt and distort our
intuition and therefore understanding and the predictability that goes
with it.

Perhaps what I'm railing about is no more than the Map/Territory
conflation.   As our maps get better (or more useful for specific
purposes), we become less practiced outside the specific purposes
encoded IN/BY the map.

Returning to the "painted window" analogy, we need to choose carefully
the stylistic preferences of the painter, and for that, we need to
recognize there is a painter, and that "they is us" and there *are*
choices that can be made and they do matter.   Does choosing a
pointillist or cubist or surrealist style for our "window-painting" help
us or hurt us?   Do we, as the painters of our own windows develop good
skills and a strong aesthetic awareness, or do we buy the cheap Hobby
Lobby colored-plexiglass stain-glass-by-by-number kit and copy patterns
we find on Pinterest or YouTube?

Ramble,

 - Steve

/