[FRIAM] [WedTech] Microcontroller event at Meow Wolf reminder

Paige Prescott paigeaprescott at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 12:08:00 EST 2019

It is closer to a 'science fair' set up.  We are hoping that students with
little to no prior experience come in and see the projects and get
inspired.  There will likely be some kids that would benefit from learning
a few easy projects like you are describing.

This is the first time that we have organized this event so it's a little
'experimental' to see how this goes.

Paige

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:55 AM Owen Densmore <owen at backspaces.net> wrote:

> I gotta question: Is this a Science Fair or Introduction to Programming
>
> When I signed up for the MW event, it sounded more like a science fair
> than an educational event. Is that correct?
>
> I ask because I thought we'd basically show kids how programming works by
> guiding them through a few simple programs. You know, a "name tag"
> (basically hello-world but with someone's name), and so on.
>
> OTOH the event description seemed to be more "Here's a wowy project!"
>
>    -- Owen
>

> On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM Edward Angel <angel at cs.unm.edu> wrote:
>
>> The microcontroller event at Meow Wolf is less than two weeks away on
>> March 8. The event started as a microbit event but we’ve expanded it to
>> include all kinds of devices, Some of you indicated that you’d bring a
>> project to demo.
>>
>> The event is open to the public but we expect to have a lot of young
>> students and their parents show up. The goal is to inspire more interest in
>> science and technology. Projects can be very simple. Micro:bit projects are
>> especially simple to generate as you can program them with block JavaScript
>> via the micro:bit website (microbit.org) and you can get a micro:bit kit
>> online for as little as $15.
>>
>> Details and signup at https://santafe.meowwolf.com/event/microcontroller/
>> . Please signup if you plan to attend with or without a project to demo.
>>
>> Ed
>> _______________________
>>
>> Ed Angel
>>
>> Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory
>> (ARTS Lab)
>> Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico
>>
>> 1017 Sierra Pinon
>> Santa Fe, NM 87501
>> 505-984-0136 (home)   angel at cs.unm.edu
>> 505-453-4944 (cell)  http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel