[FRIAM] are we how we behave?

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 10:35:56 EST 2019

I really like your framing of the environment (part built, part natural) as a kind of complicated manifold, maybe like an irregular honeycomb or the closeup surface of a sponge, where the surface is the constraint boundary -- the problem statement(s) -- and the pocks and holes are the areas we specific intelligences wander into and "solve" problems framed by those holes.  Presumably, some of the solutions then partly fill those holes, making the surface slightly more complex.  Of course "foam" is a more accurate word since the problem and solution spaces are high dimensional and perhaps disconnected (which speaks a bit to Marcus' point about us all being alien, separated at least by being in different holes of the foam).

However, I completely reject the (perhaps mis-inferred) idea that welfare and social justice are somehow force-fitting people into the pockets of the foam.  Things like welfare and social justice are merely part of the foam, just as much a "natural" part of it as, say, artificial island nation states in the pacific and/or the system that sets up urban coyotes as a top predator.  Those programs may seem like artificial bandaids.  But if they are, then *every* part of the built environment, including roads and termite mounds are *also* artificial bandaids.