[FRIAM] is this true?

glen ∅ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 11:20:51 EST 2019

Excellent!  Thanks.

The stuff I've found so far seems a bit motivated.  For example, this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/27/health/behavior-like-drugs-talk-therapy-can-change-brain-chemistry.html

Talks about functional reduction of activity in brain regions (one for OCD and a different region for depression), where either the drug or the therapy were used.  I couldn't find the original studies, but haven't looked very hard.  The thing that worries me is the way they worded this article.  Did they only saw the basic brain activity change in those patients who responded?  If so, it seems like the result is baked into the experiment to some extent.  I'm left wondering how/if the drug and therapy changed the brains of the non-responders.  Did the drugs and talk therapies change the brains of the non-responders in similar ways?  Or is the only similarity in these 2 cases *that* the responders exhibited similar changes?

This article was more circumspect, I think:

Brain serotonin synthesis capacity in obsessive-compulsive disorder: effects of cognitive behavioral therapy and sertraline

"These observations suggest that, for some patients, successful remediation of OCD symptoms might be associated with greater serotonergic tone."

I suppose the idea being any intervention that modifies seratonergic tone (drugs, talk, whatever) may be viable.

This article helps justify my worry that the brain changes in non-responders aren't considered:

A RANDOMIZED, CONTROLLED TRIAL OF MEDICATION AND COGNITIVE BEHAVIOR THERAPY FOR HYPOCHONDRIASIS

"This study supports the safety, tolerance, and efficacy of fluoxetine for hypochondriasis. Joint treatment provided a small incremental benefit. Because approximately 50% of patients did not respond to the study treatments, new or more intensive approaches are needed."