[FRIAM] is this true?

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 18:47:14 EST 2019

And I suppose it might be a bit unethical to approach such things purely objectively. Both Renee' and my oncologist seemed quite happy I was assigned to the arm of my cancer study that used the new antibody (obinutuzumab).  The control was the old antibody (rituxumab).  I suppose it was justified that nobody was assigned to a placebo group because ... well, I guess it seems a bit unethical to give placebo to stage 4 cancer patients. But I consistently looked around at my fellow patients, sitting in their infusion chairs for hours on end and wondering which ones got the "old" therapy.  Of course, they still benefited to some extent because the PI's budget paid for their rituxumab, lowering their out of pocket by ... like ... a lot.

Scott Alexander expressed this fairly well, though I can't find the particular post now.  It went something like "My purpose is to improve my patients' lives, not discover objective truths."

--
☣ uǝlƃ