[FRIAM] excess meaning alert? (was, Re: are we how we behave?)

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Mar 9 00:32:51 EST 2019

Frank/Nick -
> It's something you can move around on in a continuous way?

elaborating slightly at the risk of obscuring or confounding:

    "a closed (hyper)surface you can move around on in a continuous way"

I don't know if /closed/ and /continuous/ are redundant in this case,
but for Nick's edification, the point to "closed" is that as one
"wanders about" on the surface, one needn't worry about "falling through
a hole".

(didn't I just promise to be more careful with my orthography?   Why DO
I feel the need to quote these phrases?  In the first two cases, I'm
quoting Franks  words, but what is the nature of my added phrase
"falling through a hole"?  It is not /Falling Through a Hole/, I don't
think? Perhaps the /Target Domain/ then is from the metaphor of a
physical surface a human might actually wander about upon and then fall
through a hole if he missteps?)

 Examples of 2D manifolds embedded in 3D spaces include spheres, donuts,
and double rubber-ring-toys your dogs tug at with one another. A Klein
bottle is also a 2D manifold, but it must be embedded in R4 (3D
depictions include self-intersecting surfaces which is misleading if
illustrative).

The point (of course) of adding "hyper" is to remind Nick that a
manifold needn't be restricted to 2 or even 3 dimensions, even though
visualizing those is fruitless.   For more intuition on the topic, I
refer Nick to E.A. Abbot's _Flatland, a Romance of Many Dimensions_
(1884).  A. Square (the protagonist) struggles with similar questions,
but only in 2D, giving us some sympathy (and sense of mostly undeserved
superiority?)

<ugly description of internal combustion engine (imperfect and
misleading) manifolds deleted>

-Steve