[FRIAM] Manifold Enthusiasts

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 14:08:44 EDT 2019

Pregabalin reduces neuronal calcium currents by binding to the α2δ subunit
of calcium channels, and this particular mechanism may be responsible for
effects in *neuropathic pain*, anxiety, and other *pain*syndromes. The
exact mechanism of analgesic effect for *gabapentin* has not been defined.

Duloxetine inhibits the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine (NE) in
the central nervous system. Duloxetine increases dopamine (DA) specifically
in the prefrontal cortex, where there are few DA reuptake pumps, via the
inhibition of NE reuptake pumps (NET), which is believed to mediate
reuptake of DA and NE.[53]
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duloxetine#cite_note-53> Duloxetine has no
significant affinity for dopaminergic, cholinergic, histaminergic, opioid,
glutamate, and GABA reuptake transporters, however, and can therefore be
considered to be a selective reuptake inhibitor at the 5-HT and NE
transporters. Duloxetine undergoes extensive metabolism
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolism>, but the major circulating
metabolites do not contribute significantly to the pharmacologic activity.
[54] <https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duloxetine#cite_note-54>[55
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duloxetine#cite_note-Bymaster_2005-55>

Frank Wimberly

My memoir: