[FRIAM] TheoremDep

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 12:11:44 EDT 2019

That makes a lot of sense to me.  I suppose my reaction (regarding misapplication of algorithms) has to do with something like "coherence-invariant composition" ... some sub-concept of truth-preservation through manipulation.  Practically, it shows up in the (I claim false) distinction between validation (that some analog *behaves* similar to a referent) versus verification (that some analog/machine is constructed the way you *think* it's constructed).

My sense of formal math proofs always triggered my "So what?" homunculus.  Sure, you can set up any game you want, then play that game.  But the deeply interesting progressions in (my incompetent understanding of) math always came with the feeling they were *violating* some (unnecessarily) assumed rule somewhere.

Projects *like* TheoremDep (not claiming that is The One) might help suss out lineages of reasoning that can both inhibit or facilitate a progressive step.

It would be cool to see an interactive visualization of the ConcepDAG where a given lemma could be "turned off" and watch the progression of downstream conclusions also turn off or go away.  I can imagine *if* the whole of math could be rendered in such a way, things like the fundamentals of math would reveal themselves to be more linear/chain-like, tree-like, or even more of an intertwined mesh.  Turning off one lemma might make it more obvious that this lemma (or its particular form) is not on the "critical path" toward some practical/applied outcome downstream.  Etc.

But if actual mathematicians don't see anything like what I see in projects like this, then it's just more of my apophenia.

--
☣ uǝlƃ