[FRIAM] TheoremDep

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Mar 29 12:29:22 EDT 2019

Glen-

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner... I had a hard time "getting
around to" exploring TheoremDep (and ConcepDag) enough to comment
(meaningfully?).

All I think Frank and Joe did was make a jump from TheoremDep the tool
to imagining things one might do with the underlying ConcepDag data
structure...   "proof generation" I suppose.

I have my own "so what" homunculus.   I have a BS in Math but definitely
recognized that I would never be a "Mathematician".   I appreciate the
spirit and perspective of *real Mathematicians* and (sometimes) even
respect their contributions when they are driven by curiosity or
"because it is there" which sometimes anticipates the practical needs of
Engineering and Science.   The old fascination with why mathematics (as
a pure abstraction) seems to line up so well with physical reality comes
up again.   I think there is some kind of anthropic principle
involved?   Do you have any parallax on this?

I would *also* like to try to lay out the ConceptDAG data structure with
enough interactivity to do as you suggest ... removing a node and seeing
what "breaks"...  or possibly adjusting weights on the edges?  I'm not
clear there is a meaningful semantic to that, but as usual I'm
interested in trying to get a "big picture".  I did a project like this
with the Gene Ontology in 2004 or so...

The Gene Ontology is a partially ordered set which provided more
constraints (and opportunities)... in this example, we didn't delete
individual nodes, but could adjust the force-directed layout paramaters
as well as grab any node and drag it far from it's equilibrium
position.  This was useful for untangling local energy minima but also
for inferring dependencies.