[FRIAM] A Question For Tomorrow

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed May 1 02:03:49 EDT 2019

Marcus,

Is this the butterfly-flap argument in another form?

Ok, I am improvising here:

Let us say that a group of tourists goes to camp under Standing Rock, a geological formation known for its apparent precariousness.  Unbeknownst to the campers and the park rangers, erosion due to a rainstorm the previous night had undermined the foundation of the rock, leaving as precarious as it looked.  During the night, a mouse walked out on the rock, and leaning over to peer at the sleeping campers below, tipped over the rock, crushing the tourists.  (We Santa Feans are given to ghoulish tourist stories.)

Brought to trial, the mouse’s lawyer claimed that the mouse’s responsible, while not zero, was so small with respect to the other causal forces involved as to be negligible.  The mouse was acquitted.

Moral: Some causes are so small as to not be worth talking about.

I think this is a crappy argument, but I had fun writing it.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/