[FRIAM] A Question For Tomorrow

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed May 1 18:16:11 EDT 2019

Glen writes:

< To make that point concrete, I'll talk about the local VFW, which is populated with racist, self-righteous jerks. Renee' and I tend to like aged drinkers ... partly because we are aged drinkers in the making. So there's a natural affinity with the regulars at the local VFW. I can be a member because my dad "fought" in Korea.  (In reality, he was a flight engineer and helped bomb people from the abstracted heights.) But the only reason they (barely) accept me is because I speak respectfully (in their presence) about what it means to kill people, mostly with other skin colors, because our leadership told us to kill them. Anyone who bears the slightest resemblance of skepticism/disrespect for "those who served" is quickly shown the door. They are much more interested in their *identity* than they are in any facts surrounding the issues. >

Yep, I know those engineers & designers.  Didn't see it directly until after the election, but sheesh, there it was.
Mercenary, I can deal with that.   Heisenberg (science comes first no matter what), I can deal with that.    But sitting at a table with a proud moron eventually makes me run for the exit (or worse).   I could live in Antarctica or Mars by myself for the rest of my life and I would never have the slightest urge to seek that company.

Marcus