[FRIAM] A Question For Tomorrow

glen∈ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Sat May 4 20:44:22 EDT 2019

Ha!  Reading and comprehension are 2 different things. I read a lot and understand almost nothing. So, there's that. But thanks for acknowledging whatever effort I do put in.

Let me try a more pragmatic rhetoric. Marcus' story about debugging a GGC is useful, here. I spend all day, every day, mapping whatever nonsense I (or my client's grad students) programmed into a simulation. The task of "verification", ensuring you programmed in what you intended to program in, is wrenchingly debilitating, I think. I don't know if you can replicate this "lived experience" elsewhere, with other tools/products. But I assume you can. I mentioned my friend and his foray into fermentation food/drink. One of the reasons fermenting bread was so interesting was because bread making is (apparently, I wouldn't really know) chock full of folk knowledge, with LESS science embedded than, say, beer fermenting. Of course, I'm talking about artisinal bread and artisanal beer, not the macro stuff like Wonder and Coors, where their maker experience is probably something like Unilever, with huge vats of various types of sauces, engineered to tight specifications. In any case, I long ago abandoned 5 gallon batches of beer because the turn-around time for making and drinking was too long. To get good at small batches, you need to iterate A LOT... and fast.

Cellular Automata are similar. Sure, there's a disconnect between the rules you program in and the pretty pictures you see in the output. But anyone who does it a lot, will develop this ENGINEER homunculus. The result is no less marvelous. But it's a different kind of marvelous, a manipulate-observe, manipulate-observe ... engineering marvelous ... and definitely *not* "emergent*, whatever that may mean.