[FRIAM] words RE: words

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon May 6 08:02:54 EDT 2019

Addendum to the narrative below: I suggested that 'spill' and 'flush' were, sort of, synonyms. That is wrong. They are actually good metaphors for each other. If you understand 'spill' for instance, the term suggests a number of referents  (in this case, definitional/usage variants) that are confirmed in 'flush' and that increases your understanding of the latter. The excluded parts of the Venn diagram prevent them from becoming true lexical synonyms.

davew