[FRIAM] words RE: words

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed May 8 18:40:18 EDT 2019

Ok, so, Lee.  I keep getting my ears boxed for misinterpreting people. So.
If my understanding of your metaphor is wrong, what is yours?

And to your earlier post, is emergence (or phase change) anything more than
the failure of induction?  If I asked Conway or Wolfram why does this thing,
which has been doing X for generations suddenly do Y, what would be their
answer?  If I rig a bomb with a clock so that it goes off on the ten
thousandth "tick", have I created an emergent phenomenon?  I think not, but
why not?

But answer the first question, first.  I really want to know what you meant
by your analogical aphorism.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson