[FRIAM] words RE: words

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue May 7 13:54:59 EDT 2019

I would talk about analog computers, not digital ones. But I don't intend to rely on any persnickety concept of "computing". So, it might be better to talk about any physical system that produces counter-intuitive results. I suppose the question is what type of physical system would help target "emergence" best?

I don't know... I built a Lorenz wheel that behaved in unexpected ways. Jigsaw puzzles are interesting tools for getting close to the idea that the parts and their arrangements both do and don't contribute to the final product. Spiro-graph is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirograph You can buy sets of aperiodic tiles. Etc.

It all depends on what it is you think you're trying to understand, I guess.

--
☣ uǝlƃ