[FRIAM] words RE: words

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Tue May 7 14:28:26 EDT 2019

Glen,

You see, this conversation just confirms me in my belief that you-guys have lost touch with just how remarkable your craft is.

As I think Lee would say (dammit, Lee, where are you?), don't ask a fish about water; he knows nothing of it.

What's the miracle of epigenesis?  E uno pluris.  We start with one thing, we make a few exact copies of it, and then, all of a sudden, we are making different things, tissues, organs, etc.  We are surprised when uniformity generates variety.  What’s the miracle  of organisms?  E pluribus unum.  When the lion charges us on the Veldt, we face a huge collection of cells that somehow manages to act as a very concerted whole.  We are surprised when variety coalesces into uniformity.

Both phenomena are amply presented in the pages of Wolfram.  Every day you go to work, you make both of these things happen on your screen.  And yet you are not amazed by it?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson