[FRIAM] Narrative bending

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri May 10 14:14:40 EDT 2019

On 5/10/19 10:53 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> A false narrative and the absence of continuity (episodic) seem pretty similar.

Well, I don't think episodic is absent any (type of) continuity. It seems piecewise continuous, to me. The high curvature inflection points between relatively linear segments would dictate whether one sees a pattern *across* those inflection points. If you can see that pattern, then you're diachronic. If you can't, then you're episodic.

And Strawson does consider, in that paper, the case where someone might be non-narrative, but diachronic.

> But the scenario I'm pitching is the superego without a narrative.   The superego may impose corrective actions while tolerating semi-random restarts.   (Restarts with or without pharmaceutical causes.)   The diachronic person wants to believe that their life has unfolded with them driving.  To me that seems pretty similar to narcissism.

If the superego is induced over one's lifetime, it seems the extent to which it's robust to discontinuities would depend on that induction mechanism. E.g. the idea that we learned everything we need to know by kindergarten might indicate that the induction is fast and any restart would complete relatively fast. So, if you "restarted" in Viet Nam, under assault, that experience could impose corrective actions for the rest of your life unless you get another "restart" at a yoga retreat in Santa Fe.

But if the induction is slower and more robust than that (which I suspect deep learning has taught us that it is, despite how bad the analogy to human brains are), then those who believe they're driving their life would be a little more correct. The predicate being learned by the superego would be complex and evolvable. And that would indicate that there are different *types* of "restart", from psychotic breaks to mild changes in habit.

--
☣ uǝlƃ