[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 13:10:14 EST 2019

OK. The only way I can make that work in my head is to argue that capitalism is not merely one of many things a capitalist can think/believe, but a kind of ethic or arching way of being ... a whole philosophy. *If* I can do that and claim that a Capitalist (big C) derives from the simple principles of methodological capitalism to a world-view, then it's reasonable to think the Capitalist believes capitalism answers *all* ethical questions (or at least a large enough share of them). And then it's reasonable to blame Capitalists for putting too much burden on what are really insufficient mechanisms for making the lion's share of ethical decisions.

A little C capitalist, who thinks capitalism is dandy for *some* social decision making, but irrelevant for most of them, would *not* rely on capitalism for other things (like science or how to vote on abortion). So, perhaps the article's author could make the claim that Capitalists and their over-burdening of Capitalism is a cause of "post-truth", but not capitalists and capitalism.

Your comment about many people being at their limit merely meeting their short-term responsibilities is relevant. I find a lot of people who put too much stock in their pet -ism, I suppose. And it seems some people might try to unify any plurality of -isms into a Grand Unified Ism (GUI - Ha!). I can't help but wonder if their inability to be/think pluralist is *incapacity* or simply laziness. It's like people who say they don't have time to exercise. Pffft. They're merely saying they don't *prioritize* exercise. I still tend to think everyone has at least as much energy and curiosity as I have, which prevents me from believing that very many people are simply *incapable* of thinking/being pluralist. Instead, they prioritize against pluralism and put all their eggs in their pet GUI.

--
☣ uǝlƃ