[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 14:29:07 EST 2019

The existence of, and ability to register, the observations is the important part. Along with people's ability to *not see* (which is different from "ignore") information that contradicts their held positions, potential observations may be plentiful but unavailable to the potential observer. I suppose with Ismists (people who buy into -isms), there's always a risk of being so locked into what you already think that you're incapable of any observation, much less those that juxtapose different things.

But re: avoiding modeling the space between the -isms, I'd argue that sometimes (only sometimes), it's best to leave the interstitial space unmodeled to avoid biasing the integration. It would be too "meta" to lock oneself into a particular integration so that *other* ways of integrating were obfuscated. So, any model of the economy/environment that connects them must have near-equivalent siblings that can also model that economy/environment.

In any case, I'm happy so many people are trash-talking capitalism. But the author of the article seems to be committing such a large rhetorical error that I can't trust what he's saying at all. He could have left out the nonsense about Glenn Beck and used that space to distinguish between capitalism as a world-view versus capitalism as a way to solve a few particular problems and I wouldn't have blinked at all.

--
☣ uǝlƃ