[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 16:23:20 EST 2019

I'm not sure I agree. Even without unification into a singular whole, we can register novelty by clustering. Clustering in a space, obviously, requires a space of some sort. But spaces are defined by bases that are often only tiny slices/aspects of the things arranged in the space. E.g. we can organize TV shows by run-time, ignoring all other aspects. And if a new show has a run-time different from all other TV shows, then it's novel, even if in an uninteresting way.

I've recently been exploring state space reconstruction methods for some of our more enigmatic model traces. EEMD revealed an interesting IMF for a periodicity I have yet to explain mechanistically. It's a bit infuriating because I wrote the damned model. Anyway, such a task is less about unifying the contributions to the signal than it is finding a basis from which to "debug" it. (Debug in quotes because the periodicity might end up being a counter-intuitive feature.)

--
glen