[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Nov 11 14:41:28 EST 2019

Glen writes:

< And I've heard people talk about *engaging* with Trumpists and trying to tease apart whatever good or bad the ecology associated with Trump has done or not done. But I fail every time I try. How do you crack open that layered chitin an Ismist accretes around their self without killing them? >

I read this article<https://aeon.co/essays/the-hard-problem-of-consciousness-is-a-distraction-from-the-real-one> yesterday, and I noticed the author was from the Sackler Centre for Consciousness Science.   They’ve suspended charitable giving because, yeah, it is that<https://www.statnews.com/2019/10/03/top-colleges-took-in-at-least-60-million-from-family-that-owns-purdue-pharma-as-opioid-lawsuits-piled-up/> one.   There is something clearly wrong<https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-summaries-by-state> in middle America.   Opioids haven’t provided the fix but it seems clear there is a hunger for something.    Maybe it is a simple as a job with some dignity, or perhaps another intervention like easy access to antidepressants could help.    It seems clear there is no possibility of persuasion.   One idea would be large, needed<https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/10/california-fires-and-pge-toxic-debt/600979/> infrastructure investments that would move workers to other parts of the country, increase their relative wealth (adjusting for cost of living), and break them out of their provincial habits.   On the other side are various forms of boycott.  For example, city workers in San Francisco can’t attend meetings in some states due to their stance on various civil rights issues.   If it ever got Republic of Gilead bad, then nothing is off the table.

Marcus