[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 17:25:52 EST 2019

Interesting article.

I wonder, though, if what's "wrong" is not so much what's there, the thing being looked at, but more that/how we're looking at it. Because we're trying to unify this huge geographical region (and all the animals in it, all the microclimates in it, all the soil types, etc.) into a singular governing system, we're going to *see* things we've never seen before. Just like in that article where the claim is that consciousness comprises communication between parts of the brain, our awareness of how fundamentally different some parts of "rural America" are from some parts of the "coastal elites" depends on the fact that a) "rural America" has a, however erroneous, conception of "coastal elites" and vice versa. That the parts communicate and that b) we can measure such communication, is what's "wrong".

Imagine trying to unify all the native tribes like the Hopi and the Comanche, who seem very different (to me) from an ethical/behavioral point of view.

Perhaps rural America is obsolete and that's what's wrong? If so, infrastructure projects would be the fastest way to eliminate it, not to move the people out, but to move the city in ... make the entire 9.8 million km^2 into an urban, managed, space. Of course, I can't even get good broadband just outside of Portland... So, *that* ain't gonna happen.

--
☣ uǝlƃ