[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Nov 11 17:44:03 EST 2019

Glen writes:

< Perhaps rural America is obsolete and that's what's wrong? If so, infrastructure projects would be the fastest way to eliminate it, not to move the people out, but to move the city in ... make the entire 9.8 million km^2 into an urban, managed, space. Of course, I can't even get good broadband just outside of Portland... So, *that* ain't gonna happen. >

It is more complicated that urban vs. rural.   In the bay area, I do have true gigabit speed from AT&T, but it was government regulation that facilitated<https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/07/att-gets-directv-merger-approval-must-deploy-fiber-to-12-5m-customers/> that motivated AT&T to do it.   Thank you government regulators.   Meanwhile, my dad in rural Oregon also has it because he has a cooperative telephone company that just decided to save the money and make the investment.

Marcus