[FRIAM] the Commons and Convenience

Carl Tollander carl at plektyx.com
Mon Nov 11 23:36:17 EST 2019

I find that if I have a more economical vehicle, that I'm somehow motivated
to drive more.  " Fuel Economy" may here be more of a dimensional collapse
to a more easily apprehended category.   Anyhow....

Why is that?   The hybrid car (RAV4 hybrid) will gradually train me, via
feedback availability ("look how 'our" regenerative braking is working,
hey, don't watch the dash screen too much") and tiny rewards ("good work,
your eco score is 80, try to work on your acceleration") to drive in a
certain way.   I can see that happening, and that I'm slightly uncomfy
about being so trainable, but yes, at 50MPG I feel somewhat virtuous, even
if I am driving 25 up Agua Fria.  Works better than the "Your Speed"
implied threat of a ticket devices placed around the city.  Not unlike
being glued to a phone screen.

Despite all that, I suspect people rebel at things that are good for the
commons because they dislike the idea of giving up some notion of their
free will as a consequence of (even indirectly) serving the commons.

In a similar vein, I find myself reading Isabelle Stengers these days, alas
in many respects because I am an English major and am easily attracted to
(deceived by?) interesting usage of commas.
http://openhumanitiespress.org/books/download/Stengers_2015_In-Catastrophic-Times.pdf
.
I used to enjoy Thomas Carlyle, on the other end of the political spectrum,
and the rhythm of the prose is, seems to me, similar.

Carl