[FRIAM] flattening -isms (was: capitalism vs. individualism)

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 12:15:12 EST 2019

One thing the responses to your post haven't mentioned is that you flatten (or "thin" or "reduce") relativism to its most simple form. I find people tend to do this with pluralism, as well. And I think Marcus does a nice job of showing that nihilism isn't as thin as we may think, either.

Since I care most about pluralism, I'll make my argument there. A pluralist isn't required to believe in an infinity of things, only more than 1 thing. E.g., to my mind, those who believe the standard model's particle zoo is a problem may *still* be pluralists. But there's just too many fundamental objects. So, let's unify them down to, say, 3 things. But we don't necessarily have to unify them down to 1 thing.

Of course, pluralists need not be discretists, either. So, there's nothing special about 1 vs 2. What fractal dimension *should* have taught us is that there are probably competent ways to model reality that allow for, say, 1.001 fundamental types of thing ... or 13.7 or whatever. Oversimplification is a risk for any -ism unifier. And it seems like you've done that for relativism.

--
☣ uǝlƃ