[FRIAM] Collapse of the Information Ecosystem/Noosphere

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Nov 19 16:02:06 EST 2019

Glen -

I chose not to respond specifically to the link/point you offered in my
last response because I felt this was a (useful) tangent and wanted to
address it more directly.

I do appreciate the analogy drawn between our physical ecosystem and
what the author calls the Information ecosystem and that this threat may
well be existential.   I also believe that such a collapse as is
suggested might be much more imminent than *other* existential threats.
I'm tempted to distinguish this "information ecosystem" from de
Chardin/Vernadsky's "Noosphere".

It feels to be, by analogy, somewhat like the difference between talking
about the collapse of the biosphere *strictly* in terms of the
geochemical basis of it...  while CO2 Absorption/acidity of the ocean is
the *basis* for the collapse of pterapod/shellfish/coral/etc.
populations/health and average temperatures, humidity levels and weather
patterns are the direct result of our heightened greenhouse gas
emissions, it may well be the collapse of the flora and fauna that
collapse in response which defines the sharpest end of the consequences
(to humans?).

I wonder if perhaps the real crisis of our unhealthy/collapsing
information ecology is not *just* in the way information is generated,
flows, etc.  but more acutely what might be doing to the individual and
collective "spirits" of humanity and a subsequent "collapse of
culture".   It feels as if some involved in what has been referred to as
"the culture wars" may well be trying to engineer (or trigger tipping
points) such a collapse.

If we contemplate the
noosphere/anfosphere/anthrosphere/biosphere/geosphere as a complex
adaptive system, then it is not surprising that there have been (and
will continue to be) patterns of "punctuated equilibrium".   The
(imminent?) information ecosystem collapse described in this article may
well be in some sense inevitable but my own illusions around individual
(and by extension, collective) free will suggests that such a thing
might be avoidable.

This Guardian Article reads *almost* like an infomercial for their own
product, however.   My week in Austin included a visit with Mary's son
and D-in-Law.  He works for the Texas State legislature editing bills
but has degrees in journalism and education, both fields he seems to
believe he came to too late to be able to participate in righteously.
His wife is an archivist for the Presbyterian University there (she is
not Presbyterian) and so has her *own* take on meaning, reality, and the
value of recording and archiving words both written and oral, formal and
informal for future reference.   She is less pessimistic, but both
(early 40s) share a strong cynicism about the state of
information/truth/coherent-culture.

- Steve