[FRIAM] flattening -isms

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 18 22:32:20 EST 2019

Hi, Russ,

Oh, gosh.  You have always done right by me, and now I have to confess a sin.  I have accurately traced the word back to the Latin word for "fart".  However, in order to be more colorful, I left out an intermediate step in the etymology <https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=petard> .  I am afraid the French got in there.  During the middle ages when people were running around laying siege to one another’s castles, somebody invented a bomb which soldiers would place against the lock of the castle doors in order to blow them open.  To maximize the force exerted on the doors, the bombs were heavily packed.  Hence, when they went off, they went Pfffft! rather than Boom!  Hence the name, Petard,, I think.  So, in fact, I was a little bit pulling your leg.  I like the idea that being hoist by one's petard is a reference to a particular form of falling from one's high horse.  As a former academic, being flung from the saddle of your High Horse by your own hot air, seems a proper way to go.

So, in fact, all of this is an example of itself.

Shamefacedly,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson