[FRIAM] quickening

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 13:33:19 EDT 2019

With few apologize, I have not been contributing very much as of late.
The last few months have offered new opportunities for work, meditations
on new life, and a whole lot of commutative ring theory / algebraic
geometry.

Sometime soon, I hope to meet with my friend Ashley (an ex-Johnnie)
whom it seems has thought quite a bit about consciousness and embodiment.
She and I are in a D&D campaign together and we spend our `smoke` break
talking about phenomenology and mind. I would appreciate any `concise`
thoughts that members of FRIAM have on the subject, as sometimes I see
it as my job to pollinate my environment with the thoughtful ideas of
others.

For those that do not yet know, Sarah and I are going to have a baby in
March. This experience has me wondering about how it is that we `come
online`. This tiny organism begins as Sarah and slowly develops a heart
and a nervous system. Is it an eventual critical mass of neurons and the
like that brings this thing (otherwise indistinguishable from an organ)
across the threshold and into a cognitive being? I muse that the first
experiences are proto-painful as I am not sure what a growing pain is
when what is growing are the very first sensory organs the thing has.
What is it to experience and then to become aware of experiencing?
Unfortunately, I cannot remember.