[FRIAM] quickening

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 12 13:55:34 EDT 2019

Jon

What on earth is a D and D campaign?

Imagination runs wild.

The first question to an evolutionist is, “what is a given pain for?”  So, pain is a mechanism to get the organism to do or not to do something, including, in social species, to cry for help.  Once you know what a pain is for, the next question is, “How can it misfire?”  So, if a particular pain system is designed to operate with in some limits, forcing it to operate outside those limits will produce pain that is for nothing (Phantom Limb), or will produce no pain when there is something that needs paining (carbon monoxide poisoning).

To a dualist, pain is kind of troublesome because, of all the senses, it is the once that is most about … itself!  In other words, it’s not easy to designate the domain, external to the senses, that pain tells you about.  But to a monist, all senses are like that, since the only thing that experience can “speak” of is other experiences.

There.  Is that friammish enough for you?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson