[FRIAM] FRIAM email delivery and reliability (was: Re: query and observation)

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at redfish.com
Sat Sep 14 14:25:38 EDT 2019

As we speak, Dr. Strangelove may be painting the image of the Symposiarch (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symposium#Drinking) regulating the flow. Or a
kind of immanent Maxwellian Demon actively operating the email gate so that
intellectual work can be extracted. Or as we're running on Majordomo
listserv <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majordomo_(software)> I think the
acequia metaphor is best -- An all powerful Majordomo organizing annual fatiga
parties <http://bloodhound.tripod.com/aceqglos.html> to remove the
neo-darwinist logic clogging up the acequia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acequia> ;-p

Alas, we might employ Hanlon's Razor
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor> to explain your lack of
observed traffic. It may be a failing FRIAM listserv running on the back of
a discount weary server we've been riding for 17+ plus years. Before
switching mid stream, I'd ask Glen, Russell, Owen, Marcus, Josh, Frank and
Gary to look at their email client history and see if there's missing
emails since August when compared to the archives listed in the FRIAM
signature <http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/>. If there's a significant
discrepancy, we can start tracking down the cause.  Email delivery has many
other places in the chain that can fail. If it's the server we can start
looking for alternatives. FWIW, I haven't seen a disruption on my gmail
client.

Somewhat related: if folks post with an email that they didn't subscribe
with, it automatically gets rejected. The listserv gets hit with 100's of
spam addresses a day that aren't in the subscriber list. I stopped manually
monitoring the rejection list 10 years ago. Many of you have given me
alternative email addresses to put on the whitelist so you can post from
different accounts. Email me offline if you want to add one.

- IAmWhoAm (AKA APF-O)