[FRIAM] Unmediated perception - sheldrake

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Sep 15 17:56:42 EDT 2019

> Geez, Steve,
>

> I didn’t know that morphs COULD resonate.
>

> What on earth are you talking about?

What Dave just said in description of Sheldrake's theory of "morphic
resonance"...   a resonant coupling amongst things which have the same
morphology  (shape).  In your case, you and Dave apparently have similar
"intellectual resonant chambers" which, in this treatment "begin to
resonate" as you spend enough time "coupling" (in conversation).

Following the analogy (stronger/more-formal than a metaphor I propose),
when you "couple" with others who you end up disagreeing with, I suspect
it starts out  a bit like a barbershop quartet... one member hitting a
tone and another following by hitting the same tone, but as the
progression gets more  complex, the *differences* in your tonality
starts to expose itself as dissonances.   I credit you "harmonizing"
with Dave in this (and perhaps other) instance to Dave for *trying* to
help you find the same note (as I am here).

The Nick and Frank show (e.g. recent analogy to train conductors) seems
to be a deliberate study/applicatoin in dissonance... one of you hits a
note  and the other intuitively (or with great intellectual effort)
factors the composing frequencies of that note and responds with a new
note that has *none* or *few* of the same composing frequencies,
generating a complex set of beat frequencies anew.   I don't know how
much this type of deliberate dissonance is used in echolocating
creatures (bats, cetaceans, ???) but finding *dissonance* seems
potentially *more useful* than resonance in some cases?

- Steve