[FRIAM] Re Rant

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Wed Sep 18 13:00:58 EDT 2019

Sorry, I've been overwhelmed with household tasks lately.

I guess I was mostly entranced by the title of the blog post, baldly
asserting that thinking leads to actions.  Does an unexamined inner life
lead to bad science?   Gelman is working hard to come up with a generous
explanation for why social scientists do so much crappy science and get all
defensive when called on it.  Now Nick admits that rooting out the biases
that lead scientists into errors and failures to acknowledge errors is a
good thing, and he fails to rise to the bait dangled by the title.  So
maybe talking as if inner life precedes public actions, like talking as if
electrons had desires which were satisfied when chemical bonds were formed,
isn't entirely forbidden.

And I didn't mean to disparage Frank's dialogue, but just calling it a post
seemed weak.  It reminded me of Galileo's Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief
World Systems, but it needs more chapters.

-- rec --