[FRIAM] Optimization problem

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Sep 20 18:55:15 EDT 2019

Gary -

I *patently don't* recommend my method, though it does have some
charms.   I recently was faced with a similar problem to yours where I
needed to cut and install trim around the perimeter of the room (with
door openings) I just layed hardwood floor in.

Rather than go into it in detail (I already did that and realized it was
a TL;DR as usual, so cut it) I will just say that I approach these
problems as *satisficing* and *constraint* problems rather than
*optimization*.    Once I had a candidate layout, I simply looked at the
results and determined that the *waste* was acceptable.   Depending on
the circumstances I sometimes prefer to have for example, 2 3' leftovers
rather than 1 5' leftover, other times, vice-versa, depending on how I
might use said leftovers in some future application (or hedging against
a mistake in my measuring/cutting).

Care to share what your actual conduit/pipe project is?

- Steve