[FRIAM] whackadoodles go mainstream!

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Apr 20 16:12:00 EDT 2020

Glen -

Thanks for that link/reference.   I appreciate that there ARE such
things as "influence operations" and Schneier's description is helpful,
but I guess I'm still not clear on how I can tell objectively that
"project evidence" is up to that.   To build my own strawman that maybe
you can bolster up to more of a steelman:

 1. I have a gut reaction to it that says "this feels like the kind of
    conspiracy-theory the trolls-I-know-to-hate are likely to be hatching".
 2. The EPSTEIN thing is weird... I guess if they'd just removed the
    reference and not referenced it, THAT would have been even more of a
    hint that they were up to no good.
 3. The tone of the introduction, etc.  seems a bit "protest too much"
 4. The sheer bulk of the material without obvious additional
    organization feels like a "dogpile" technique (ro maybe as you
    suggest "baffle-em-with-bullshit" or TL;DR ?

I guess what I was asking for is whether you found any specific elements
or if there is a more specific (than my lame list above) structural
thing to question.   I *didn't* follow the myriad references and
validate them, and I *don't* have a broad enough understanding of the
field to estimate how biased their list of articles is... if they are
blatantly cherry picking or what?

When publication like this was much harder, the volume of material was
small enough that it seems like traditional journalists could possibly
keep up with more in-depth analysis?

I suppose rather than asking YOU if/how you have done its, or if I
should go search for other critical analysis of this "project"...

- Steve