[FRIAM] Fundraiser by Christina Z. : Ohoris Staff Relief Fund

Edward Angel angel at cs.unm.edu
Wed Apr 22 17:29:35 EDT 2020

Nick,

I have no problem with anyone wanting to support their local barista. Please remember also that the Food Bank really needs funds.

I do have a problem with your view of the 60’s. Those young folks you remember were almost 100% white middle class kids, Almost no blacks, hispanics, native americans or asians. At that time poverty was far higher than it is today. Medical care was not available to large parts of the population. And then there was the rest of the world at that time.

By fixating on the local situation, we tend to forget about the bigger world which is suffering far more than us. Countries across Asia and Africa are dealing with the virus in addition to refugees, lack of medical facilities, the impossibility of social distancing and many other factors. Lots of information on the web as to how bad the situation is. There are organizations combating these factors that are worth paying attention to.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	angel at cs.unm.edu <mailto:angel at cs.unm.edu>
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel <http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel>