[FRIAM] Fundraiser by Christina Z. : Ohoris Staff Relief Fund

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 17:55:28 EDT 2020

8^) Sorry. I didn't intend to accuse anyone of purposefully manipulation. That's why I mentioned the Telephone Game. It doesn't matter what we intend, the message will get perverted. ("The only problem with communication is the illusion that it exists." -- somebody somewhere I'm too lazy to look up.)

For me, it's "Do what thou wilt". If you want to spend hours scouring 990's and build expert systems or constraint optimizers to tell you which charity to give to, that's fantastic. But don't, at the end of the day, pomp around town spouting how your money's more effective than others. (This is said not to anyone here, but to the EA people.) If you want to toss $100 bills out the window at homeless people, that's fantastic. I choose to donate to nonprofits I care about (like for Debian or psychedelic research). And I have friends who volunteer for the red cross. So I like to toss some money that way. To my mind, any overhead (even if it's 90%) they use off my donation to pay the staff or raise other funds is their business. I try not to micromanage. Similarly, if the homeless guy takes my $5 and buys some Strawberry Hill, more power to him. It was a gift and he can use it as he pleases.

The "how are you going to spend this if I give it to you" sounds a lot like "Get off my lawn!"

--
☣ uǝlƃ