[FRIAM] narcissism

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 15:21:47 EDT 2020

Have you read Kernberg?  I would do that first and I would claim that he
should dominate me and the others with respect to his/their/my
credibility.  My knowledge, such as it is, comes from informal
conversations with senior psychoanalysts in Pittsburgh.  Ragins, Schachter,
Ratey, McLaughlin, et al.  And my wife who is not a senior analyst but was
a student of all those.  She is reticent to talk about these issues but
clearly knows more than I do.

Do you still deny that Trump's narcissism interferes with his ability to be
president?  You seem to think it's independent of his incompetence.  I
don't think so.

By the way, the world is more complex that the capacity of language to
describe it.  There was an article in the New Yorker about 35 years ago or
more.  About Sylvia Frumpkin, a pseudonym for an anonymous psychiatric
patient.  The article describe the attempt by a series of psychiatrists to
diagnose her.  Most of them felt she was schizophrenic but an Indian
(Asian) doctor said she was severely bipolar.  Asked why he didn't think
she was schizophrenic he said it was because of the lack of delusional
material.  The others said but she said she was married to Mickey Mouse.
The Indian doc asked, "Who's he?"  That's irrelevant but funny.  The
article was very long and not complete in one issue, as I recall.

Frank

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 12:41 PM uǝlƃ ☣ <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

> The evidence presented in Shröder-Abé et al does not support that. I worry
> about the authority with which you assert such things. At the very least,
> your lack of supporting evidence *prevents* me from doing any homework on
> my own that might support what you're saying. Everything I'm finding
> disagrees with you. Help me out, here.
>
> On 4/29/20 11:23 AM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> > By the way, regarding the subtypes of narcissism: They are distinguished
> by severity of symptoms rather than differences in the basic dynamic, which
> are the same.
>
> --
> ☣ uǝlƃ

Frank Wimberly